A former tennis professional suggested that the inner circle of Nick Kyrgios, including girlfriend Costeen Hatzi“should probably stand up and walk out” of his events after Wednesday theater at the 2022 US Open.
Todd Woodbridge, a former Australian athlete turned broadcaster, expressed that sentiment in relation to Kyrgios’ behavior during his second-round win against France’s Benjamin Bonzi, in which the fiery 27-year-old appeared to target those in his player’s box – where Hatzi, 22, among others, sat – and demanded that they be more vocal in their support.
Warning: Explicit language
“The behavior is just not helpful and it’s just not healthy,” Woodbridge said on Australia’s Channel 9 broadcast, according to News.com.au.
“The people who sit in his player’s box must do something. That action should probably be to stand up and walk out. They have nothing to do with what happens on the court. It’s up to Nick to make the shots and hit the plays.”
During the third set on Wednesday, Kyrgios – currently ranked No. 25 in the world – could be heard shouting, “Go home if you’re not going to support me bro,” as he sat on the sidelines. The finalist of Wimbledon a warning was issued for the outburst, in which he also spat on the court, apparently in the direction of the box.
In a post-match press conference, Kyrgios said it was a “stressful time” and that he and his team hoped to “go deep” into the tournament.
“I’m really happy to get through,” Kyrgios said after beating Bonzi, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
“It was a very stressful time. Me and my team have high expectations to go deep this week and I’m just glad I came through.”
Kyrgios is set to face American JJ Wolf in the third round on Friday.
Before the tournament, Kyrgios enjoyed some downtime in New York with Hatzi by his side. A social media influencer, Hatzi has traveled the world with Kyrgios for the past several months, supporting him at different tournaments.
The pair went public with their relationship late last year following Kyrgios’ breakup with Chiara Passari. In July, News.com.au reported that Kyrgios has been charged with assaulting his former partner stemming from an incident in December 2021. He is due to be sentenced in October.