NBPA CEO wants NBA to ban Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver for life – ESPN

NBPA CEO wants NBA to ban Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver for life - ESPN

NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio, saying she was speaking on behalf of NBA players, on Friday called for a lifetime ban for Phoenix Suns majority owner Robert Sarver, who received a one-year suspension from the league for racist and misogynistic remarks.

“We absolutely call for that [lifetime ban],” Tremaglio said in an interview on ESPN’s NBA Today. “We don’t want him to be in a position where he’s managing or involved with individuals who are involved with our players or the players themselves. We are absolutely clear from the findings that are in the report that we do not want him to be in that position.”

Tremaglio confirmed she was speaking on behalf of players, and her remarks come after the Los Angeles Lakers star. LeBron James and Suns point guard Chris Paul tweeted his disappointment with the NBA’s punishment of Sarver earlier this week.

“It’s the desire of our players that while we understand that there was a thorough investigation and while we’re very pleased that the NBA was able to follow through on that — because that’s clearly something that we want to see — we also want to make it very clear, that we don’t want him back in a position where he’s going to affect our players and those who serve our players every day,” Tremaglio said.

In addition to the one-year ban, Sarver was also fined $10 million after the NBA on Tuesday released its findings of a 10-month independent investigation into allegations of workplace abuse during Sarver’s tenure as managing partner of the Suns, which spanned nearly two decades. .

The NBA commissioned an investigation following an ESPN story in November 2021 detailing allegations of racism and misogyny during Sarver’s 17 years as owner.

Tremaglio told ESPN that she expressed her views to NBA commissioner Adam Silver, although it remains unclear whether the league’s punishment to Sarver will change.

“I don’t know how open [Silver] is in terms of wanting to make the change,” Tremaglio said. “I think it’s our hope that it will be very clear that Mr. Sarver cannot be in a position to come back and be in an administrative position. We have heard from other owners. We heard from sponsors, etc. I think it’s pretty clear that there’s no expectation of him coming back.”

Tremaglio was asked if there have been any conversations with players about boycotting games as training camp approaches.

“We haven’t had those discussions yet,” Tremaglio said. “We’re all preparing for a season… But I think it’s very clear that our players are incredibly upset about what happened. Their hearts go out to the families and all the individuals who have actually had to endure this. long period of time. But at the same time they recognize they have a job to do and they’re really excited about moving forward with the season.”

Added Tremaglio: “Quite frankly, I know we never want our players to be in a position where they are unsafe or individuals they surround themselves with are unsafe. Mr. Sarver had the ability to set the tone at the top. And for us . having individuals who are in a leadership role influencing the game in this way is detrimental to the success of our players and the safety of our players and that will not be tolerated.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *