COLUMBUS, Ohio – There is one last non-conference game for #3 Ohio State. On Saturday night, the Buckeyes welcome Toledo to Ohio Stadium for the second primetime game for the Scarlet and Gray in three contests so far this year. If things go as planned, it will be the final tune-up game of sorts for the home team before the Big Ten slate begins.
Ryan Day’s team is 2-0 to start the season, but as the head coach said, there is still a lot to work on. Ohio State has surprisingly been inconsistent on offense to start the year, after dominating on that side of the ball last season. The new Buckeye defense has improved greatly over the past two years, but the players are still adjusting to new defensive coordinator Jim Knowles.
saturday could mark the return of wide receivers Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Julian Fleming, who have either barely played or have yet to suit up this season, would help make the Scarlet and Gray offense 100 percent and could help solve any problems that came up in the first couple of weeks.
The Rockets have a roster filled with players from Ohio or the surrounding states who grew up watching Ohio State; many dreamed of playing for the Buckeyes. They will look to come in and at least make the Buckeyes sweat.
The game between the Scarlet and Gray and Toledo is scheduled to begin at 7 pm ET on FOX. FFollow along with Bucknuts as you watch the game for updates and analysis throughout the game.
HEIGHT (5:06) Ohio State 56 Toledo 21
- CJ Stroud gets Emeka Egbuka his first touchdown of the night on a seven-yard strike after he just went over 100 receiving yards.
- After Jesse Mirco’s punt, Ohio State’s defense does a nice job and forces a punt from the three-yard line.
- Ohio State has to punt for the first time tonight and then Jesse Mirco throws the ball to the one yard line.
- Luke Wypler called a false start on third down but CJ Stroud finds Emeka Egbuka for a big gain and a third down.
- CJ Stroud is over 300 passing yards for the game.
HEIGHT (10:23) Ohio State 49 Toledo 21
- Dequan Finn fights again and takes a shot as he throws but the pass is intercepted and taken into the end zone by Jerjuan Newton. Denzel Burke was there but didn’t do the play.
- Cameron Martinez limped pretty bad after that last play. Perry Eliano came running down to the referee to call timeout on third-and-10.
- Toledo moved again, running right through the Buckeyes.
HEIGHT (13:08) Ohio State 49 Toledo 14
- The Buckeyes capitalize on the interception when fullback Mitch Rossi gets the carry and barrels into the end zone from a yard out.
- Dallan Hayden with a big run. It looked like he scored a touchdown but he fumbled after 45 yards.
- Cameron Brown was not there on that Ohio State defensive series. JK Johnson stayed in the game for the corner.
- Ohio State gets its first turnover of the season and it’s an interception by Ronnie Hickman.
- Ohio State takes off to start the second half.
- CJ Stroud had himself one day. With basically all of his receivers back, he just picks and chooses where the ball should go based on what he sees. He has time on most throws so it’s a simple throw and catch. And he has two runs! What more could you want from a quarterback?
- Impressive that Ohio State can lose its best running back — arguably the most talented in the country — after one series and still rush for 144 yards in the first half. Miyan Williams — 77 yards on 10 carries — runs hard and Dallan Hayden looked good on that final drive.
- The defense did its part for the most part. Clearly the dual threat of Dequan Finn is a problem. I’ll be interested to see what adjustments Jim Knowles makes in the second half to better contain him.
HEIGHT (0:47) Ohio State 42 Toledo 14
- CJ Stroud finds Julian Fleming for his second touchdown of the night, this one an 11-yard score.
- Ohio State’s offensive line creates some holes for Miyan Williams and Dallan Hayden to run through. That’s good to see.
- Freshman Dallan Hayden gets some first half work. That must mean TreVeyon Henderson’s night is over.
- Nice pass by Denzel Burke on third down. He had to bounce back after last week.
- Cornerback Cameron Brown just went to the locker room with a trainer.
HEIGHT (7:16) Ohio State 35 Toledo 14
- CJ Stroud to Marvin Harrison Jr. again. This time a seven-yard strike in the back of the end zone.
- CJ Stroud with a rush for five yards.
- Emeka Egbuka back as the kick returner there.
HEIGHT (10:41) Ohio State 28 Toledo 14
- The Buckeyes blitz and are burned with Dequan Finn on the quarterback draw. 23-yard run.
- Dequan Finn completes on fourth down for a first down.
- Ohio State gets pressure but Dequan Finn is slippery. He comes out of many things.
HEIGHT (0:10) Ohio State 28 Toledo 7
- CJ Stroud is flushed right and finds Julian Fleming on the sideline in the end zone for the five-yard score.
- Still no TreVeyon Henderson for the Buckeyes on this drive despite returning to the sideline.
- Tommy Eichenberg and Jack Sawyer stuff the run on third-and-short. Toledo throw.
HEIGHT (4:29) Ohio State 21 Toledo 7
- Emeka Egbuka with a three-yard swing dive for the touchdown.
- CJ Stroud with another perfect pass to Marvin Harrison Jr. just over the defender’s hands for a 42-yard gain.
- Lots of pressure from Ohio State and the Buckeyes force a three-and-out.
- That’s an impressive throw and catch. CJ Stroud had plenty of time and put it where only Marvin Harrison Jr. could catch it. Great catch from Harrison who got both feet in.
HEIGHT (7:52) Ohio State 14 Toledo 7
- CJ Stroud finds Marvin Harrison Jr. in the corner end zone on an eight-yard catch.
- Ohio State running back TreVeyon Henderson just went to the locker room.
- Julian Fleming out at wide receiver to start Ohio State’s second drive of the game.
- Cameron Brown leaned to the outside and his receiver went down the seam and he couldn’t catch up. Good job by Dequan Finn did a good job of moving in the backfield to buy time.
HEIGHT (10:25) Ohio State 7 Toledo 7
- Dequan Finn finds Thomas Zsiros for a 50-yard touchdown and a quick response.
- Cam Martinez and Lathan Ransom start in place of Tanner McCalister and Josh Proctor.
HEIGHT (11:11) Ohio State 7 Toledo 0
- TreVeyon Henderson ends the drive with a seven-yard touchdown run. Cade Stover had the reception to set up Henderson and then one of the lead blocks to get him into the end zone.
- Nice balance here. Buckeyes move mostly through the air but TreVeyon Henderson has already had some nice runs.
- Jaxon Smith-Njigba starts for Ohio State after essentially missing the last two games.
- Toledo starts. Chip Trayanum returns the ball to start the game.
- Ohio State game captains against Toledo are CJ Stroud, Tommy Eichenberg, Kamryn Babb and Tyler Friday. Buckeyes win the ball and choose to receive the ball to start the game.
- Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Julian Fleming are in uniform and ready to go for tonight’s game against Toledo. Safeties Tanner McCalister and Josh Proctor are not in uniform tonight and will not play against Toledo. Neither were listed on the availability report.
- Players are ready to take the field for their final warm-ups.
- Both Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Julian Fleming are out for warm-ups. Both look good to go so far.
Here’s some of our coverage from this week for your pre-game enjoyment: