French midfield star N’Golo Kante to miss World Cup after being sidelined for four months – Daily Mail

French midfield star N'Golo Kante to miss World Cup after being sidelined for four months - Daily Mail

N’Golo Kante has been ruled out for FOUR MONTHS after hamstring surgery which will see him miss the World Cup … and put his Chelsea future under the spotlight.

  • French midfielder N’Golo Kante will miss the 2022 World Cup due to injury
  • Kante suffered the injury in Chelsea’s 2–2 draw with Tottenham on August 14
  • The Blues have confirmed that the midfielder has been ruled out for four months

France and Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante has been ruled out of the World Cup after undergoing surgery on his hamstring, which will see him sidelined for four months.

The 31-year-old picked up the injury in Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham on August 14 and has slowly worked his way back to full fitness in the time since.

Kante, however, suffered a huge setback after aggravating the injury during a training session last week and has since had surgery.

It means he will now miss next month’s World Cup and is expected to be out until late February. The news casts a shadow over the midfielder’s future with his contract at Chelsea expiring this summer and no deal on a new deal closed.

N’Golo Kante (pictured) has been ruled out of the World Cup after undergoing an operation

The 31-year-old suffered the injury in Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Tottenham on August 14.

The 31-year-old suffered the injury in Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham on August 14.

A statement from Chelsea said: “N’Golo Kante has undergone surgery on his hamstring injury.

“The midfielder visited a specialist with the club’s medical department to explore the options for his rehabilitation approach and it was mutually agreed that N’Golo should have surgery to repair the damage.

“Following a successful operation, N’Golo is now expected to be sidelined for four months.”

Chelsea confirmed in a statement that the Frenchman will miss four months following his surgery

Chelsea confirmed in a statement that the Frenchman will miss four months following his surgery

The decision to operate came after Chelsea boss Graham Potter, who has not been able to call on Kante since taking charge at Stamford Bridge, admitted last week there were lingering concerns about the midfielder’s fitness record – he has missed 57 games since the 2019 Europa League. final

‘Historically, there are things that have happened that are worrying, and we need to understand that,’ said Potter.

– It is a failure in the last stage of his rehabilitation, so again that is worrying. But all we can do is get the right diagnosis, the right consultation and then try to help him get back to full fitness and enjoy his football.’

Kante, whose Chelsea contract expires next summer, has 53 caps for France and was part of their World Cup-winning squad in 2018.

Confirmation of Kante’s diagnosis comes two days after Chelsea team-mate and England right-back Reece James was ruled out for up to eight weeks with a knee problem, meaning he will also miss the World Cup, which starts in Qatar on 20 from November

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *